3.27.2007

New York: From jmharper and jfmay

i was in new york for her first snow.
I remember how badly I wished as we froze
we walked times square till nearly two o'clock
that I would remember all this
in the morning;
at least enough to write something down.

but that's ok because the lights in times square
As cool as they were when we touched them
were taught to be the sun
as if they were as natural as the woman sitting
by men with big wrenches and lightbulb boxes.
on the street with their banjos.
so on they shine, waking the night on the back of black limousines.

after we finished our movie and they finshed theirs,
I followed you – a firefly finding something brighter
we met up near that small stand on the corner
– and I lost track of us on the pocket map
with the yelling vendor who sold good tasting foods.
that refused to tell us where we were.

grand central station was quite grand,
I couldn’t find it again if I tried
and, well, a very central station. the ceiling was alive,
running around like New Yorkers
the windows, like towers of vintage light.
we never saw a thing we set to see.
can you hear the trains? the schedules flipping...
Proving that things were moving along.
our legs got sore after blocks and blocks,
The same blocks from last time we were here
and jeans felt too cold on the legs...they don't warn you of this in films
feel differently when
on the subway back home
the feeling in my toes is gone
out of the corner of my eye, a thought sprang...

No comments: